The Rothley Trust was founded in 1959 by Mr Mungo Campbell, a local businessman who had made his money in shipping. He set up the Rothley Trust initially to provide funds for his grandchildren’s education and it later expanded to provide grants for a wide range of charitable organisations
In 1967, it set up the MEA Trust and was the major funder for MEA House in the centre of Newcastle upon Tyne – the first purpose built office accommodation for a collection of charities. MEA House was opened by HM the Queen in 1974.
The Rothley Trust is proud to have been a grant maker in the north east for over 60 years.